Willys Lofts Building History
The original four story Willys Overland Lofts building was constructed in 1917 as a sales and service facility for the Willys Overland Motor Company. During the next decade classic Willys models were sold out of the first floor and serviced on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors accessible by the use of two large freight elevators. In the late 1940's the building was used by the Davidson Brothers Dry Goods Company as a warehouse for a short time. Around 1950 the building was purchased by the Detroit Public Schools which used the three interconnected buildings as warehouse space and shop area for their operations. The building had been vacant for about two years until it was purchased by the Midtown/DeMattia team for its exciting redevlopment as the Willys Overland Lofts.